Electrical Surveys

Many mortgage lenders also now require that a periodic inspection test is carried out prior to a mortgage offer being submitted in the same way as the structural survey is required. This survey should be carried out by a specialist contractor who is accredited by the NICEIC or equivalent.

Landlords are often requested by the managing agency to provide a periodic inspection report before tenants occupy a property; we provide a competitive service for agencies and landlords direct.

Part P imposes the requirement that ‘fixed electrical installations in dwellings shall be suitably designed, installed, inspected and tested so as to provide reasonable protection against their being the source of a fire or cause of injury to persons’. This means that electrical work in dwellings will need to be installed in accordance with BS 7671:2001 (The ‘Wiring Regulations’), including new circuits, extensions to existing circuits and all works in high risk areas such as kitchens and bathrooms.

There are two routes that the homeowner can take to ensure that the installation or maintenance work complies with Part P:

  • Inform the Local Authority Building Control of proposals to carry out electrical installation work before it begins. On completion of work, Building Control will carry out an inspection of the work for a fee.
  • Engage the services of an electrical contractor approved as a ‘Competent Person’.


Call us now to find out more

“I&B Electrical have carried out electrical work and surveys on many of my premises I rent out and have always had a friendly, helpful service.”
Alan, Hatfield

“I&B Electrical explained the process of surveys and I found all staff really helpful and professional. Would recommend to all my friends.”
Jenny, Welwyn Garden City